Sermon Notes from 1 Thessalonians 3:1-5, "We Are Destined for This, Part 1" by Tray Earnhart.
1 Thessalonians 3:1-5.
A. "Hard times bring confusion." Examples:
1. David in many of the Psalms
B. "Sometimes change brings states of confusion."
C. Results of confusion in the life of a Christian:
1. Confusion prompts the Christian to ask, "Why is that so?" (i.e., why must we go through situations that cause us to feel confused).
2. Confusion prompts the Christian to realize, "What we need are answers."
3. Confusion prompts the Christian to turn to the Bible, which "reveals to us the truth."
II. "Suffering, hardship, affliction: count on it."
A. Because "times are tough," Paul sent Timothy (v. 2):
1. To establish the Thessalonian church;
2. To encourage the Thessalonian church.
B. The intended result of Timothy's ministry is that none "would be moved by these afflictions" (v. 3a).
C. Christians are destined for suffering, hardship, affliction in this world (v. 3b, x ref. 1 Pet 4:12-19; John 15:18-16:4, 33).
D. Heaven is our place of rest.
E. "Come to Christ."